MX1 Nearest Airports Function

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
LaneRM

Re: MX1 Nearest Airports Function

Post by LaneRM »

I passed the following along to Michigan Avionics, but I'll post it here for visibility (or in case one of the big brains in the community can comment).

Just for fun, I loaded up a landscape version of the sim. It made no difference to the problems I presented. In the interest of being thorough, I replaced the US navidata with South Africa navidata. I didn't have a map available for the map layer, but I compared what was available to ForeFlight Web and it all looked accurate and the moving map works perfectly.

I set my location to "Morning Star Airport," identifier FAMORN, at S33°45:27 E018°32:58
FAMORN.PNG
FAMORN.PNG (86.66 KiB) Viewed 10017 times
NAV > GPS: Nearest Airports returns this:
Nearest Airports.PNG
Nearest Airports.PNG (104.49 KiB) Viewed 10017 times
Tapping FADX on the map and then the Airprt softkey returns FADX info:
FADX Info.PNG
FADX Info.PNG (91.34 KiB) Viewed 10017 times

So it works as intended in South Africa in the vicinity of Cape Town.
Bill Hertzel

Post by Bill Hertzel »

I believe you now have a GPS antenna attached to the MX1.
Have you tried making the INT GPS the default?
I am still favoring a GPS issue.
If the GPS is showing RAIM: NON-PREC; something is wrong.
Once you acquire at least 5 satellites, you should show RAIM: PRECISION.

Have you requested an FAA PAPR Report? (Public ADS-B Performance Report Request) at >>>

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

If you are configured improperly; You are not actually ADSB Legal.
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

Bill,

I do have an antenna installed on the MX1 and the SP12. Regardless of how many satellites I have, the best I get is RAIM Non-Precision, but I did verify their location reporting with a nearby avionics shop and they are correct.

I can say with confidence that the nearest airports thing is not related to the GPS. It is a database issue, but it’s above my head. A database created in MGL Central that works in a non MX1 MGL device doesn’t work in the physical MX1 or the simulator. Why? No idea. Third party info does work, like Pocket FMS’ navidata. Again, no idea.

The only clue that I’ve found is that when working navidata (PocketFMS) is loaded and the system log reports the correct database creation date. With the non-working navidata files, the MX1 is actually reporting the database date and having been created 13 July 23… which is obviously impossible.

Michigan Avionics has since passed this info along to South Africa who hopefully will find an easy fix.

Rob
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

Forgot to add: Internal GPS is primary, and the ADSB performance report (which I've done twice) comes back with no squawks.
Bill Hertzel

Post by Bill Hertzel »

Check your Private Messages.
Bill Hertzel

Post by Bill Hertzel »

This is probably not going to help but...
https://support.michiganavionics.com/po ... FAA_cycles is a handy link from another post that has the latest updated data files including the NAVIDATA.EWD file.
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

So MGL recognized the problem and said they are working on a fix. For anyone else who doesn’t want to wait, PocketFMS AeroData works perfectly and costs around 120 bucks for a year.
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

New firmware update for the MX1 ought to fix this and other problems. I plan to install and test it in the morning.

https://www.mglavionics.co.za/mx1upd.html
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

Bumping to update and for visibility.

With the newest firmware, the problem persists as described above.

The PocketFMS data is an 80% solution. You can use the navigational tools as intended and the 2D navigation works on the charts, but the HITS in the 3D view points in the wrong direction and airports drawn on the "ground" are usually incorrect in their orientation and slightly off in their location.

Ranier, any thoughts?
pfhoeycfi

Post by pfhoeycfi »

LaneRM wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:27 pm Bumping to update and for visibility.

With the newest firmware, the problem persists as described above.

The PocketFMS data is an 80% solution. You can use the navigational tools as intended and the 2D navigation works on the charts, but the HITS in the 3D view points in the wrong direction and airports drawn on the "ground" are usually incorrect in their orientation and slightly off in their location.

Ranier, any thoughts?
I am having the same issues. Have you resolved yours?
Peter