XCom Radio Install

Post here anything about a more technical nature not directly related to a product - installation questions or solutions, anything you think may help others as well. Floobidust - a term sometimes used by us nerds to categorize anything that does not fit into a category. Sort of a wild card.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Flingwing

XCom Radio Install

Post by Flingwing »

Hi guys

I've searched the Forum with keyword XCom with no results so here goes...

Is there an RS232 wiring schematic anywhere for connecting my XCom radio to my iEFIS Challanger Lite? Is anyone successfully running this setup?

Thanks in anticipation....
Terry
NZ
sparxfly

Re: XCom Radio Install

Post by sparxfly »

The XCOM manual is pretty cryptic, but this looks like the setup you will jeed.
Manual is here >
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... manual.pdf
Page 14- select SERIAL
Page 16- select GAR for Garmin SL30/40 protocol

Then set the EFIS serial port to SL30/40 protocol
Wire EFIS TX to XCOM RX, EFIS RX to XCOM TX
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer
Flingwing

Post by Flingwing »

Thanks Stuart...I'll give it a go!

Terry
Flingwing

Post by Flingwing »

Hi Stuart

Can you please confirm that the iEFIS XCom radio selection option is configuring the RS232 Port for 19.2 baud.

I have spoken to Ken Luxford in Oz who designed the XCom and he advises that the RS232 Port on the XCom runs at 19.2 baud.

As discussed on the phone I have continuity between the XCom and iEFIS confirmed when I run the iEFIS Serial Diagnostics but I'm seeing gibberish.

Thanks
Terry
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The serial diagnostics is intended to be a loopback test. When you enter the diagnostics all ports are set to 9600 baud and all TX lines send out an ascii message (readable text) stating the port number and a transmission number that increments with each transmission. If you connect any TX to any RX you will see that TX transmission on that RX port on the screen. So if you connect TX to RX on a particular port - you will see that ports own transmissions.

This is a quick but very effective way to test the functionality of a serial port.

If you have something else connected to the RX line (like your XCOM) and there is data being transmitted you will see rubbish usually. The display will show anything that is text and anything else will be substituted with a "?". Even though baudrate and other protocol details may differ it is still useful to show that "something" is being received.

Hope that makes it clear.
Flingwing

Post by Flingwing »

Long story short... Gave up on the XCom - I'm about 91% certain that the iEFIS XCom1 RS232 Serial Port Comm selection is not configured correctly for the XCom radio protocol. I tried with a MircoAir M760. Would not work initially with the iEFIS set to Garmin protocol and after desperate fiddling of all the options in the iEFIS RS232 Serial Port Comm selections I discovered that the M760 worked with the Val1 (whatever the hell that is...??) Comm setting on the iEFIS... So the MicroAir stays.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

VAL Radio uses the Garmin protocol with some additions like setting volume and squelch from the EFIS - the Microair if it has serial support (i.e. a later model) implements the Garmin SL40 protocol.